I have been informed by TIM that several people have been complaining about boxes at traders, and I have been told to remove them or they will be deleted.
People seem to have been complaining for different reasons.
People think it is some attempt at griefing
People think it is causing bugs with trader
People just don’t like them there
This is no attempt at griefing and I don’t see how it could be. I have even moved the boxes several times to where I think they will cause the least amount of problems.
I don’t think the boxes cause issues with the trader because I have seen people trade with them there, and I have myself had problems with ship cargo not showing up in the trader even though it is connected. The solution for this bug is to go to the ship, disconnect and connect again, go back in and most of the time it will work but sometimes you have to reconnect again maybe 2-3 times.
Asking admin to delete someones grids just because you don’t like to look at them seems like completely odd thing to do.
I have now turned off the connectors on the boxes so it is quite impossible that they could cause bugs in the store, even though I am sure they did not cause any bugs before either.
I was talking to some people in game about this and it seems some became less hostile after the situation was explained.
Now I would like a discussions about this topic.
- If you have a problem with the grids of other players, contact the player first and see if you can solve the problem without involving admin.
- What is the likelihood the boxes actually do bug the trade sometimes? How many times have you been able to trade with the box there and how often does it bug without the box etc. Maybe there is a bug with it, maybe it is not, I think it is not. What do you think?
- Another complaint is that it claims one connector, but in my opinion, if there are 2 other ships connected to the station so you can not connect, you are too late anyway. Either accept that there is no trading to be done or just wait 30 seconds until one moves and hope they left something.
- Another concern someone raise was what would happen if everyone connected boxes to stations. My answer is that unless we see it start happening, I don’t see what the problem is. If it becomes a problem there should be made a rule against it and the problem is solved. Rule enforcement is better than arbitrary moderation.
- Should player complaints without good reason force admins to take actions like deleting someones grid for no other reason that they don’t like it? How will this work when someone is just whining because someone else killed their ship and now they want to get back at them through admin? Will admins bending to random complaints nurture a whining culture on the server that will turn the environment more toxic in general and cause unnecessary work and headaches for both admins and players?
Best post gets 120 RC 😉